At one time or another in your gluten free meal preparation, you may have thought that the days of baking delicious breads were over. Maybe you’ve even given up bread entirely because it’s disappointing to make it and then have your expectations be deflated as soon as you take one bite.
There’s actually a name for that – bread fail!
And it happens to gluten free bread more than any other bread.
But, good news… you don’t have to have any more ‘bread fails’. Tasteless, gummy, dry and crumbly gluten free breads are going to be a thing of the past. For help on these bread troubles, see Why does my Gluten Free Bread have a Gummy Texture?
This recipe today will completely re kindle your belief in a good gluten free bread! Plus, it’s a quick bread, so there’s NO yeast, no rise time. Delicious bread is just a short time away.
This bread truly lives up to being the ‘best’.
Even though it’s pretty easy to make, here are a few tips to make sure yours is a success:
Shredded parmesan cheese is a must for this recipe. Use a combination of Romano and parmesan for a really robust, but not too intense flavor.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, no need to go purchase it. Make your own instead:
- Add 1 Tbls, of white vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Then fill the cup to the 1 cup mark with milk.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then use as directed.
The baking time can vary, depending on your oven temperature – about 50 minutes, give or take 5 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
Cooling time is always the hardest time. It’s so tempting to just slice right into that freshly baked loaf, but typically gluten free bread is really picky about the cooling time – it’s usually long and there are no exceptions. But not this one. Go ahead, give it 10 minutes and cut into it. We won’t tell.
Are you ready for the best gluten free garlic cheese bread? Here it is!
The Best Gluten Free Garlic Cheese Bread (Quick Bread)
Makes one 9 x 5 loaf
1 cup shredded Parmesan and Romano blend cheese
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup butter, melted
1 Tbls. white sugar
1 cup buttermilk OR use a buttermilk substitute
2 cups light flour mix, find it here
1 tsp. xanthan gum
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F. Grease or use cooking spray on a 9 x 5 baking pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix shredded cheeses. Set aside ¼ cup for a topping.
3. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg and buttermilk. Mix well.
4. Add the flour mix, xanthan gum, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, baking soda and baking powder and mix well.
5. Using a spatula, fold in the cheese mixture.
6. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
7. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top.
8. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If it’s getting too brown, cover the bread with foil.
Let it cool for a few minutes and slice into it and enjoy. If you cut it warm, make sure to just a serrated knife and use a sawing motion.