A mouthwatering Gluten Free Garlic Bread with Cheese that’s super quick and easy and goes perfectly with ANY meal!
At one time or another in your gluten free baking, you may have thought that the days of baking delicious breads were over. Maybe you’ve even given up bread entirely because it’s disappointing to make it and then have your expectations be deflated as soon as you take one bite.
Well this gluten free garlic bread recipe will completely re kindle your belief in good gluten free bread! Actually, not just good bread, but delicious bread! Plus, it’s a quick bread, so there’s NO yeast and no rise time. Amazing bread is just a short time away.
Notes for Making the Best Gluten Free Garlic Bread with Cheese
Even though it’s pretty easy to make, here are a few tips to make sure your garlic bread is a success:
Gluten Free Flour Mix
Besides the blend of delicious shredded cheese and seasonings, our gluten free flour mix is the next essential ingredient for this bread (Find the flour mix here). The right balance of flours and starches mean it’s incredibly versatile and perfect for this recipe!
Also check out these other recipes that use this gluten free flour mix:
Shredded parmesan cheese is a must for this garlic bread. Use a combination of Romano and parmesan for a really robust, but not too intense flavor.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, no need to go purchase it. Make your own instead:
- Add 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Fill the cup to the 1 cup mark with milk.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then use as directed.
Mixing the batter
The batter will look more like thick cake batter than elastic bread dough. So if you’re mixing this batter and it doesn’t look like you’d expect, not to worry, gluten free bread dough never looks like bread-flour bread dough!
The baking time can vary, depending on how dark you want the cheese. Darker brown and you’ll want to add about 5 minutes to the 50 minute baking time. Lighter brown and you’ll want to start checking at the 45 minute mark. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean either way.
Cooling time is always the hardest time. It’s so tempting to just slice right into that freshly baked loaf – unfortunately gluten free bread usually needs to cool completely before slicing. But not this one! Go ahead, give it 10 minutes and cut into it. We won’t tell.
Are you ready for the best gluten free garlic bread, loaded with delicious cheese? Here it is! And if you enjoy this recipe, will you give it a rating?!
The Best Gluten Free Garlic Cheese Bread (Quick Bread)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan and Romano blend cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk OR use a buttermilk substitute
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 350° Grease or use cooking spray on a 9 x 5 baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix shredded cheeses. Set aside ¼ cup for a topping.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the flour mix, xanthan gum, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, baking soda and baking powder and mix well.
- Using a spatula, fold in the cheese mixture.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If it’s getting too brown, cover the bread with foil.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and slice into it and enjoy. If you cut it warm, make sure to just a serrated knife and use a sawing motion.
- Use a 9" x 5"size baking pan for best results.
- To substitute for buttermilk, add 2 Tbsp. of white vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the cup the rest of the way up with milk. Let sit for a few minutes.
- No mixer needed with this recipe, just mix and bake.
- If the bread gets too dark before the baking time is over, cover it with foil.
Check out these gluten free baking tips: