If the sight of whipped cream and strawberries sends your taste buds into overdrive, it might mean you need a strawberry shortcake in your life!
These delightful desserts combine the freshness of strawberries with grain free almond flour biscuits and whipped cream – they are simple yet never fail to impress.
Making these delicious desserts starts with our Almond Flour Biscuits, so head over there to prep those beauties (not to worry, they’re quick and easy to make). While those are cooling, get the strawberries and whip cream ready!
How to Make Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcakes
Strawberries and whipping cream. That’s about all you need for amazing strawberry shortcakes.
Just look at these beautiful strawberries – taste bud tempting for sure!
You’ll need about 1 ½ cups of sliced strawberries for 6 shortcakes. Cut them into medium size slices. Large enough that they aren’t bits, but small enough to easily bite into.
Then sprinkle some granulated sugar on them – 1/3 cup is plenty – and let them sit.
You’ll know they’re ready when you see beautiful strawberry syrup forming.
For the whipping cream – a 2 pint container will be plenty.
Whipping the cream
Something about homemade whipped cream makes these shortcakes extra special. It’s the richness or the ability to sweeten it as much or as little as you like… either way, it is a must. And it’s really simple to do.
- Start with cold beaters
Cold cream and cold beaters are the makings for light and fluffy, high rising whipped cream. Right before pouring the cream in to whip, place the beaters in the freezer for 5 minutes – especially if it’s a warm summer day.
- Drape a paper towel over the bowl
This is especially true if you’re using a hand mixer. Whipping cream tends to splatter as it’s being whipped. A paper towel over the mixer catches all of those messes.
- Whip just until it peaks
If you’ve ever been guilty (yes, me!) of over-whipping, then you know what ‘just until stiff peaks form’ means. Resist the urge to just keep that mixer going. Over worked whipped cream will look curdled and start to lump together. Watch it carefully and scrape the bowl down as you go.
Assembling the shortcakes
The strawberries are ready, the cream is whipped – almost time for shortcakes!
Assemble the shortcakes just before serving. This part will take about 5 minutes if you have the strawberries and whipped cream ready…
Slice each biscuit in half lengthwise. Place the bottom parts on individual plates.
Add 2 or three large spoonfuls of strawberries to each bottom half (make sure to get a little of the delicious strawberry juice on each). Top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Repeat the process with remaining bottoms.
Top with the top half of the biscuits.
Place a dollop of whipped cream on the top half and finish off with a strawberry.
Enjoy these gluten free strawberry shortcakes anytime strawberries are making their seasonal appearance!
If you enjoy this recipe, give it a rating!
Next check out this amazing gluten free English muffin recipe!
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcakes
For the strawberries:
- 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
For the whipped cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Set biscuits aside.
- In a bowl, sprinkle sugar over strawberries and mix well.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
Make whipped cream
- In a large glass bowl, add the heavy whipping cream and beat on high for 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Add the 3 Tbsp. sugar and beat on high for another minute or until stiff peaks form.
Make the shortcakes
- Slice each almond biscuit in half lengthwise. Place on serving plates.
- Place about 3 large spoonfuls of strawberries on each half. Add a bit of strawberry syrup too.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream. Place biscuit top on top.
- Add another dollop of whipping cream. Place a strawberry on top.
- Serve immediately.
- Set strawberries aside to develop that delicious strawberry juice
- Use whipped cream immediately or refrigerate for longer storage
- Serve shortcakes on individual plates and garnish with extra strawberries
More delicious gluten free strawberry recipes:
- 23 Gluten Free Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins
- Gluten Free Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
Biscuits, rolls, breads and more!