Donuts are overflowing on my kitchen counter and they are looking so good!
But these donuts are different – they are not fried or greasy and yet have the most amazing taste brought on by fresh ingredients like carrots, spices and Greek yogurt.
And with a dollop of yummy cream cheese icing, these donuts are taken to a whole new level.
But just how do you make non-fried, gluten free donuts that taste as good as these sound?
It’s easier than you think.
Making Gluten Free Carrot Cake Donuts
Two bowls and a donut pan
All you need are two bowls and a donut pan to get this recipe started. Mix up the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in the other bowl and then combine the two. That’s it. Get your donut pan prepared and you have your batter ready to go!
Note: This recipe uses my gluten-free-bread flour blend, find the recipe for it here: Gluten-Free-Bread flour blend
Oh, and wondering what type of donut pan I use? Here’s the one I love: Wilton Donut Pans
Use a plastic bag for piping out the batter
A simple plastic bag is one of your best kitchen tools – use it for fillings, frostings AND filling up a donut pan! In this gluten free carrot cake donut recipe, the batter is poured into the bag and then once you snip off the edge, it can be easily portioned into the pan. And you don’t make a mess in the process.
Toast the pecans
I’ve used untoasted pecans in this recipe before and let me tell you, it is not the same. Toasting the pecans just brings out a deep richness that just doesn’t compare. They’re easy to toast too – just spread them evenly on a plate and place them in the microwave, watching them closely, microwave on high for 1 – 3 minutes, depending on the intensity you prefer.
Make the icing
It just doesn’t get any better than homemade cream cheese icing on top of these donuts. And it’s incredibly easy to mix up – just some cream cheese and powdered sugar and you have an icing that’s fit for a king, or donut in this case! Just a sprinkling of pecans and you’re all ready enjoy these little bites of yum.
And now for the recipe for these delicious gluten free carrot cake donut with cream cheese icing.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free-bread flour blend
- 2 tsp. psyllium husk powder
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans + ¼ cup toasted chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 Tbsp. butter softened
- 4 Tbsp. cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Spray two donut pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and the oil. Add in the Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Add in the shredded carrot and mix just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the gluten-free-bread flour blend, psyllium husk powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well. Fold in the ½ cup chopped pecans.
- Transfer the batter to a large plastic bag. Snip off a corner and evenly pipe the better into the donut pans.
- Bake the donuts at 425 F for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 F and bake for another 7 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the donuts to a cooking rack.
To make the icing
- In a medium bowl, beat the softened butter and cream cheese. Add in the vanilla, then the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add in the milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until the cream cheese icing is thin enough to spread easily.
- Once the donuts are cool, spread the tops of the donuts with a dab of icing then sprinkle with the toasted pecans. Repeat with remaining donuts.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To easily portion these donuts, snip a hole in a plastic bag and portion the batter out.
- These donuts can be on you table in under 45 minutes.
- Easily toast pecans in the microwave - just be sure to watch them as they can burn easily.