A unique dough paves the way for an equally unique roll – these bite-size gluten free rolls are the perfect size for snacking or getting ambitious and making a bunch to please a crowd.
These little beauties are all of about 3 bites. 2 bites if you’re really eager. But in those three bites, you’ll experience a delicious, golden brown roll that is a true treat for the tastebuds. Plus,with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, they’re just about the cutest rolls you’ll ever see!
You might be thinking, ok small size… is it really worth it? Worth the trouble of making rolls only to have them devoured in no time. I think I can go out on a limb and offer a definite yes. Even though this recipe makes a small batch, they are sooo good and the perfect compliment to any meal.
Plus they’re super easy to make.
The prep time is about 10 minutes. Including measuring the flour out. Like a lot of gluten free bread recipes, the most time consuming part is often prepping the ingredients. I think getting the prep time of these rolls down to about 7 minutes is completely do-able, but you know, distractions happen.
The rolls are along the same lines as these gluten free French bread rolls, with some notable differences. Besides things like no yeast, no xanthan gum and a short ingredients list, the texture and consistency is similar.
Now that you’re getting excited to make these rolls, here are some ways to ensure yours turn out like little bites of heaven.
Refrigerate the dough
Can you get away with not refrigerating it? Sure – but it sure does make it easier to cut with when it’s chilled. The dough will be in a disk and if it’s chilled, it will cut much easier than if it’s warm.
Shape the dough
When you shape the dough into a disk, you’re aiming for a thick chunk of round dough. This will make it easy to cut it into 8 equal pieces.
Doubling might be impossible
Doubling will depend on the size of your food processor. Mine is a 4 cup model, so doubling a recipe like this is not possible. But if you have a mighty 11 cup one, then you are set. Feel free to double it.
Are you ready for the most delicious bite size rolls you’ve ever had? Here they are!
Easy, Bite Size Gluten Free Rolls
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and light cream cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute – stir and microwave another 30 seconds.
- Add this mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Mix for about 30 seconds.
- Add the egg and mix again for about 10 seconds.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt to the processor and mix for 20 seconds.
- Scrape the roll dough into the center of a piece of plastic wrap and flatten it slightly. It should look like a thick disk.
- Wrap the dough up and place in the refrigerator while the oven heats.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- When the oven is ready, remove the dough from the refrigerator and using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle lightly with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- 20 seconds is all you'll need for a quick mix in the food processor.
- Chill the dough while the oven is heating so it'll be easier to handle.
- The dough should roll very easily.
- These rolls will get golden brown while baking.