Rice flour is one of a dozen options for wheat-avoiding eaters. But how do you choose whether to use white or brown? Most people decide based on texture or cost, opting for white rice flour or a combination of both. But brown rice flour offers a host of nutritional benefits, and it’s not uncommon to find a coupon or sale on name brands. (Like this)
Brown rice flour contains more protein and fiber then the white variety, and offers a richer flavor. But baking with it can be tricky. Here’s a fun way to get some into your kiddos for breakfast or a snack. This recipe is also dairy-free and vegan!
Brown Rice Flour Blueberry Pancakes
Makes 12 (medium-sized) pancakes
• 2 cup brown rice flour
• 2 tbsp. raw honey
• 1 tbsp. gluten free, aluminum free baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• 2 cups vanilla soy milk
• 2 egg
• 2 tbsp. coconut oil
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
• 100% organic maple syrup
1. In large bowl, mix together rice flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Add egg, honey, oil, vanilla, and vanilla soy milk and mix until well blended.
3. Stir in blueberries.
4. Spray skillet generously with gluten-free, non-stick spray.
5. Heat pan on medium; test heat with a flick of water. If it sizzles, add batter for your first pancake only when pan is completely hot.
6. Cook on one side until bubbles begin to form on the top, then flip and cook until browned on the other side. Move pancake to a plate and keep warm until serving.
7. Repeat steps five and six until all batter is used.
8. Serve pancakes with maple syrup and enjoy!
Please let us know if you made and enjoyed these as much as we did in the comments below. Also, what brown rice flour recipes have you been successful with?
P.S. If you like this recipe, you’ll love what we have in store for you… we’ll be hard at work the next few weeks, putting the finishing touches on it!
Email subscribers will get the first peek 🙂