It had been one of those blustery, autumn days where all I wanted to do was bake something chocolate and indulge. Unfortunately, the only gluten free flour in my bare-until-the-first-of-the-month pantry happen to be a rice blend emergency box. You know, one of those commercially sold 1:1 ration substitution varieties. (See picture below.) I did some searching and experimented with a gluten recipe I found on magnoliadays.com, substituted hot cocoa mix for the cocoa powder and some of the sugar, and came up with a luscious, hot cocoa infused loaf that required no yeast and was amazing without anything spread on each piece. My girls and husband loved it!
The next night I tried a lava cake in a cup recipe with the small remainder of that flour blend and improvised a cake in a mug recipe. It turned out even better. These two back to back really helped my chocolate craving, and now they are tucked away in my recipe box. I hope your family enjoys them too!
Gluten Free Buttermilk Hot Cocoa Bread
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1¾ cups all-purpose rice flour blend, I used Betty Crocker boxed blend (or use ours, recipe is here)
½ cup hot cocoa mix
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce (about half of the cup shown below)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of an 8- X 4-inch or 9- X 5-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and applesauce and beat to combine. Add buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and spread out evenly. It will seem stiff.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife along the sides to loosen bread from the pan. Remove bread from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
GF Hot Cocoa Mix Mug Lava Cake
6 Tablespoons hot cocoa mix
4 Tablespoons rice flour blend
2 Tablespoons oil, your choice (I used canola)
3 Tablespoons water, room temperature or slightly warm
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir hot cocoa mix and flour mix together in medium to large coffee mug.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Microwave on high 60 seconds, and check to see if the top of the cake is solidifying. If not, cook on high in ten second incraments until the some of the cake looks “cakey”. Do not go longer than 90 seconds total.
- Allow to cool at least 1 minute. Enjoy with a fork.
Note: This is a lava cake, so it will have sections that are gooey and delicious.
Craving more chocolate? Head over to Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts with Rich Chocolate Glaze next!