Don’t you love it when you finally find that amazing dinner roll that is so good, you serve it to your gluten eating friends and family and they love it too? This is that roll.
These gluten free dairy free dinner rolls have all the qualities you love about bread:
Gluten free bread is at a disadvantage because there is no ‘gluten’ to give it that elastic quality that other breads have. But these rolls do a superb job of mimicking it.
Light and Fluffy
Tearing apart and biting into these rolls reveals a lovely interior with the perfect balance of pillow softness and nicely textured bread.
Tender, yeasty rolls – these are high on my list for gluten free yeast rolls. I set this pan near a just-used dishwasher. They loved it!
Tastes like Bread
No weird aftertaste. No gumminess. Nothing but the delicious taste of bread here.
And the best part is, these rolls are not complicated at all. I’ve made some complicated rolls (see my Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls recipe), but these mix up very nicely, rise high and bake up to a golden brown color.
Two things to note about this recipe:
1. Use the light flour mix – other mixes may work, but my light flour mix definitely works.
2. Measure the flour mix. I don’t often use a scale for measuring flour, but in this case, exactness is needed. These rolls are too good to leave to chance! You should come out with about 2 cups of flour, but use a scale to be sure.
Get your ingredients out and get ready to enjoy some delicious, yeasty rolls, perfect for sharing with family and friends. Oh and if you need more than 9 rolls, don’t double the recipe – make 2 batches alongside each other.
The Very Best Gluten Free Dairy Free Dinner Rolls
2 cups (11 1/2 oz.) Gluten Free Bread’s light flour mix*
1 ½ tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. instant yeast
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup water, warmed to 105-110°
2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 egg, beaten
*Gluten-Free-Bread’s Light Flour Mix
In a plastic bag, combine the following ingredients:
1 ½ Cups Brown Rice Flour
1 ½ Cups White Rice Flour
3 Cups Tapioca Flour
3 Cups Cornstarch
3 Tbls. Potato Flour
Mix thoroughly. Store in the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before using.
1. Lightly mix the Gluten Free Bread light flour mix, xanthan gum, instant yeast, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. With the mixer running on low speed, add in the water, melted coconut oil, egg, and cider vinegar.
3. Mix the bread dough on medium speed 3 minutes. The dough will look slightly fluffy and pale yellow in color at the end of 3 minutes. It will be more like thick cake batter than bread dough.
4. Spray a 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop dough into 9 mounds in the pan, starting with one mound in the middle and then 8 more around the middle one.
5. If you want your rolls to have a smooth look on the top, use the back of a spatula to lightly smooth out the bread dough.
6. Cover the pan with a dry towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
7. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
8. Beat the egg and brush each roll lightly with egg.
9. Bake rolls at 400°F for 26-28 minutes. The rolls will be golden brown and sound hollow when you tap on the top of the tops.
10. Remove the rolls and place the pan on a wire rack to cool slightly before removing the rolls from the pan.